Oil pulling is a traditional medicine practice which originated in ancient India – dating as far back as 3,000-5,000 years ago. It was believed that oil pulling not only aided the oral cavity but was a way to align the “dosha” or the three energies that define one’s mental, physical, and emotional well being. Any misalignment in the “dosha” due to poor health, diet or stress were believed to be corrected by oil pulling. In today’s holistic medicine, oil pulling is still widely practiced with a large emphasis on the detoxification of fat soluble toxins. Though oil pulling is not a cure for established diseases or dental caries, it works as an antibacterial agent and has the great ability to reduce microorganisms that cause caries and poor oral microbiome.
*Disclaimer* Oil pulling is not a cure for pre-existing dental caries, periodontal or oral diseases. Oil pulling is also not a replacement for daily and nightly brushing, flossing and “waterpiking.” Routine dental visits are still required to aid in maintaining optimal oral health.
Before you start:
- Ideally, start early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- If the procedure is done properly the oil will be milky and thin in consistency.
- Do NOT spit oil into drains or sinks – this can lead to clogging of pipes in your home.
- Avoid swallowing any of the oil as it contains bacteria and toxins.
- Oil pulling can be completed up to three times daily before meals.
- Start slowly, gradually work your way up in time; there is no need to rush the process!
- While in an upright position, put one tablespoon of oil of choice into mouth.
- For children 5+ use a teaspoon of oil
- Force oil in between teeth and mouth by swishing vigorously for 20 minutes.
- It is important to note that oil becomes properly emulsified in 5 minutes; meaning that you need to continue pulling for at least 5 minutes after this to obtain any benefits.
- Dispose of oil by spitting into trash can or outside.
- Clean mouth using warm salt water or tap water.
- Brush and floss as normal.
- Terra & Co. Brilliant Black Oil Pulling – Made with coconut oil. Minimal ingredients. Peppermint flavored.
- Ozonated Oil Pulling Solution – Made with coconut, sesame and sunflower oils. Made with high quality ozone. Organic. No preservatives.
- Terra & Co. Gentle Green Oil Pulling with Hydroxyapatite – Features nano-hydroxyapatite. Made with neem and hemp oils.
- Dr. Tung’s Oil Pulling Concentrate – Does not contain essential oils or mint. Sesame oil based. Made with 24 herbs and botanical extracts.
If you have any questions about oil pulling or concerns about you or your family’s smiles, we invite you to give our Mountain Wellness Dentistry team in Monument, CO, a call today at 719-488-2375. We look forward to helping you with all of your dental needs!